Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Don't Mess with Texas

I got to Texas about 2 days ago. I stopped in Amarillo, saw the biggest cross in the western hemisphere and camped at Palo Duro Canyon (but never actually saw said canyon).

I loved driving from Amarillo to Dallas. There was so much to see! Every 12 to 30 miles was a town- mostly run down ghost towns with a few gas stations and motels along the highway. It was pretty amazing to see so many empty buildings. I'm not sure if it was sad or not... Several of the little towns looked like movies sets for old westerns- saloon and all! But deserted. What a weird place this Texas is. 

Everyone I have encountered so far has been super friendly and I am starting to get used to being called "ma'am". Dallas has less personality than the more rural parts of Texas and I am eager to move on... but I do love having a safe place to sleep! Tomorrow Cousin Dave and I are going to see The Faint and Ladytron at some cool old theater. I am super excited! After that, I will move on... to where I am not totally sure.

I want to see Johnson Space Center, but have no interest in the rest of Houston... I'd like to camp near the coast, but I am having difficulty finding a place. I'm going to go to AAA tomorrow to get some travel books- hopefully that will clear things up...

No comments: